I finished this sculpture in late December. I realized this fall that I hadn't put much concerted effort into my novel since 2006, it suddenly seemed like a very long time.
I've been slowly reworking the basic elements of the plot since then. Recently, I thought of the main character's design, and realized that the last time I'd drawn him was in 2005 [link]
I wanted to revisit this design, but, for some reason, I was convinced that it would be easier to do a sculpt than a painting. I don't know what I was thinking.
As a side-note: I am amazed at the explosion of deviations featuring bird-human hybrids since 2005. I remember having a tough time finding material to go off of. Since then, many people have explored the concept in really interesting ways.
Seventy hours later, here we are! I like the final result, although the face did not come out at all like I intended.
Stands 5" tall
Made of brass wire, aluminum, polymer clay, muslin, and acrylic paint.
Feathers and wings:[link]
Additional references include personal photos of birds and people.